Friday, May 25, 2012

Pallet Accent Wall

For the Jack and Jill bathroom between the twins and Gates’ room I decided that I would dress it up with an accent wall using wood from old pallets.  I love how it turned out!

jack and jilljackand jill

How I did it:

First, I had to find some pallets.  This ended up being pretty easy thanks to my Mrs. Carroll’s husband who brought me 5 pallets he had at his work that he didn’t want.  He reassured me that these are not treated pallets so they should be safe.  The pallets looked like crap but that didn’t matter because in a way the pallets that were falling a part made it easier to get the wood off.  Braking the pallets down and getting the wood off was the hardest part of the project.  Luckily, I had my amazing friend Whitney help me get started.  It took me a couple days of spending an hour here and there during nap time to get all the boards off.  Then I got all the left over nails out and sanding them a little to clean them up.  The rest of the project took me maybe an hour to nail the boards to the wall.  I used the compressor and nail gun for hanging the boards.  The spacing between the boards isn’t perfect but I didn’t care because imperfect was the look I was going for.  I bought new lights to tie it all together that Chris surprised me by hanging them for me. I wish I had painted the walls a soft grey before I did the accent wall but maybe some day I will get around to that.  I also need a shower curtain and something for the walls. 

I got the lights from The Home Depot.  They were cheap out door lights that work perfect. http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Lighting-Outdoor-Wall-Mount/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvni/R-202022733/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202576733

 

4 comments:

  1. You are so creative! Give me some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're looking to do an accent wall in our bathroom too, but we're worried the moisture might cause mold problems between the wall and the pallet wood, did you treat the surfaces before nailing the wood up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, would like to know about the moisture & treating of wood.

    ReplyDelete